Our Quest To Practical Spirituality.
March 28, 2024, 03:04:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Spiritquest. Where we find ways to practice what we know.

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Torquay Cemetery 2008

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Torquay Cemetery 2008  (Read 323 times)
Medusa
Queen of the Dead !
Sageguide
Spirit....

Spot on?: 12

GraveDigger......................

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 04:12:02 am »

Oh sorry for the mix up well at least I can take my picture off now  Grin still maybe see you about town  Cool

Hey no worries hun..............

Heres a quick pic of me and my son, hes also a duty manager at a coop in Torquay as well !

ITS GONE

It's not staying up long heheheheheh

Medusa
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:54:20 am by medusa » Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

http://spiritquest.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,4.0.html
Rest In Peace Dragon Rider ? ATS

"Don't regret what you have already done, but look forward to what is still to come!"
Medusa
Queen of the Dead !
Sageguide
Spirit....

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 03:45:52 am »

The graveyards where you live look kinda spooky.

But graveyrds have a kind of a vibe to them don't you think? There is something beautiful about its natural decay.

Hey Eugene

I just adore going around this place its so massive and vast lov.......................

Peaceful and carming as well..................

Can easily just get 'lost' in here and often speak to the spirit's that might be around when I am walking around here !

Ixchel

Yes I did mention I was a Duty Manager, but not at this Co-op but at the Wellswood one !

Medusa
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

"Don't regret what you have already done, but look forward to what is still to come!"
Eugene66
Check out my new website.
Sageguide
Spirit....

Spot on?: 8

Check out my new website.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 03:27:18 am »

The graveyards where you live look kinda spooky.

But graveyrds have a kind of a vibe to them don't you think? There is something beautiful about its natural decay.

http://magicliving.net

Love
Eugene.
  Smitten
Medusa
Queen of the Dead !
Sageguide
Spirit....

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 03:10:54 am »

Hi Medusa

Love the face in the tree  Grin here is my mug shot in my avitar so look out for me in thr Co-op  Cheesy

Only keeping this phot up for a day hate looking at ma self  Sad

Hey ixchel

Nice pic hun thank you lov

Do you work for PSW then ? Co-op ?

Medusa

Medusa
Queen of the Dead !
Sageguide
Spirit....

« on: June 20, 2009, 11:23:43 am »

As the resort of Torquay developed in the early 19th century, so the existing burial grounds attached to the parish churches at Torre and Upton rapidly became overcrowded. Additions were made to Torre churchyard in 1836 and 1842, but still proved insufficient, while in February 1850 residents petitioned for a prohibition on intramural burials at Upton (Ellis 1930).

In 1851 the Torquay Extra Mural Cemetery Company issued a prospectus seeking to raise capital of £8000 in £10 shares. Despite having prominent local backers and directors, the Vestry was opposed to the Company's proposal and sought to petition Parliament to prevent the passage of the Company's Act of Incorporation. At the same time, in November 1851, the Local Board was petitioned to provide a public burial ground. Despite this opposition, on 30 June 1852 the Company received Royal Assent to its incorporation. The Company purchased a site comprising about 16 acres (about 6 hectares) on high ground outside the town and proceeded to lay out its cemetery in 1852-1853. The first interment took place in the Nonconformist section in November 1852.

The realisation of the Company's scheme led its local opponents to petition the Bishop of Exeter, Dr Henry Philpotts, to consecrate a section for the use of the Established Church in October 1853. Dr Phillpotts however, a High Churchman, considered it contrary to Canon Law to consecrate any Anglican burial ground unless it was physically separated from any adjoining burial ground by a wall. While the first interment in the Anglican section took place in June 1854, the Bishop's objection led to a delay in consecration until the completion of a boundary wall in October 1855. At the same time a chapel was constructed and consecrated for the use of Anglicans. A chapel for the use of Nonconformists was built in 1862.

The cemetery was extended in 1869, and again in 1921, when land to the north-west of the original site was appropriated for burials: these areas were not divided by physical barriers into consecrated and unconsecrated sections. In April 1929 the Company acquired a further area of ground to the north of Hele Road from the Cary Estate (outside the area here registered), on which a crematorium was built in the mid 20th century. Torquay Cemetery remained the property of the Extra Mural Cemetery Company until about 1975 when its management was taken over by Torbay Council; the site remains municipal property today (2001). The records of the Company do not appear to have survived.

This is one of my fav's "TREE FACE MAN"...............

http://s485.photobucket.com/albums/rr215/twistedsister666_photo/

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: