Our Quest To Practical Spirituality.
March 28, 2024, 06:27:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Spiritquest. Where we find ways to practice what we know.

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Saint Bernadette

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saint Bernadette  (Read 369 times)
Medusa
Queen of the Dead !
Sageguide
Spirit....

Spot on?: 12

GraveDigger......................

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 04:52:39 am »

On April 16, 1879, Bernadette -- or Sister Marie-Bernard, as she was known within her order -- died in the Sainte Croix (Holy Cross) Infirmary of the Convent of Saint-Gildard. She was thirty-five.

Born into a humble family which little by little fell into extreme poverty, Bernadette had always been a frail child. Quite young, she had already suffered from digestive trouble, then after having just escaped being a victim of the cholera epidemic of 1855, she experienced painful attacks of asthma, and her ill health almost caused her to be cut off for ever from the religious life. When asked by Monsignor Forcade to take Bernadette, Louise Ferrand, the Mother Superior of the Sisters of Nevers, replied: "Monsignor, she will be a pillar of the infirmary".

At least three times during her short life-time, she received the last Sacraments. She was gradually struck by other illnesses as well as asthma: among them, tuberculosis of the lung and a tubercular tumor on her right knee. On Wednesday, April 16, 1879, her pain got much worse. Shortly after eleven she seemed to be almost suffocating and was carried to an armchair, where she sat with her feet on a footstool in front of a blazing fire. She died at about 3.15 in the afternoon.

The civil authorities permitted her body to remain on view to be venerated by the public until Saturday, April 19. Then it was "placed in a double coffin of lead and oak which was sealed in the presence of witnesses who signed a record of the events". Among the witnesses were "inspector of the peace, Devraine, and constables Saget and Moyen".

The nuns of Saint-Gildard, with the support of the bishop of Nevers, applied to the civil authorities for permission to bury Bernadette's body in a small chapel dedicated to Saint Joseph which was within the confines of the convent. The permission was granted on April 25, 1879, and on April 30, the local Prefect pronounced his approval of the choice of the site for burial. Immediately they set to work on preparing the vault. On May 30, 1879, Bernadette's coffin was finally transferred to the crypt of the chapel of Saint Joseph. A very simple ceremony was held to commemorate the event.

Additional Info:

St. Bernadette was born at Lourdes, France. Her parents were very poor and she herself was in poor health. One Thursday, February 11, 1858, when she was sent with her younger sister and a friend to gather firewood, a very beautiful Lady appeared to her above a rose bush in a grotto called Massabielle. The lovely Lady was dressed in blue and white. She smiled at Bernadette and then made the sign of the cross with a rosary of ivory and gold. Bernadette fell on her knees, took out her own rosary and began to pray the rosary. The beautiful Lady was God's Mother, the Blessed Virgin Mary. She appeared to Bernadette seventeen other times and spoke with her. She told Bernadette that she should pray sinners, do penance and have a chapel built there in her honor. Many people did not believe Bernadette when she spoke of her vision. She had to suffer much. But one day Our Lady told Bernadette to dig in the mud. As she did, a spring of water began to flow. The next day it continued to grow larger and larger. Many miracles happened when people began to use this water. When Bernadette was older, she became a nun. She was always very humble. More than anything else, she desired not to be praised. Once a nun asked her if she had temptations of pride because she was favored by the Blessed Mother. "How can I?" she answered quickly. "The Blessed Virgin chose me only because I was the most ignorant." What humility! Her feast day is April 16th.

http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=147
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

http://spiritquest.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,4.0.html
Rest In Peace Dragon Rider ? ATS

"Don't regret what you have already done, but look forward to what is still to come!"
Eugene66
Check out my new website.
Sageguide
Spirit....

Spot on?: 8

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 08:14:37 am »

Excellent point Bugeye

http://magicliving.net

Love
Eugene.
  Smitten
bugeye
Spirit...

Spot on?: 4

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 01:25:55 am »

I think if we widen our perspective there are signs that guide us, but sometimes we get caught up in the straight and narrow of our own lives and miss little revelations like this. Many would just see wax and scrape in away.

I think it is important to be widely perceptive, and as an example of what I mean I submit the following awareness test. Only 2% of people pass this test, so watch very carefully.

Check out my personal space, it is funny and friendly. Please drop by for a chat.

http://spiritquest.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,83.0.html
Eugene66
Sageguide
Spirit....

Spot on?: 8

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 01:13:07 am »

WOW!!

Thats exactly what I saw. I saw a dark haired person kneeling in front of a tall person wearing white robes.

But there is a lot of other things in there too. I also see a lady with a ring of flowers in her hair bowing to the viewer.
BTW. I like your avatar.

http://magicliving.net

Love
Eugene.
  Smitten
ixchel
« on: June 21, 2009, 03:11:43 pm »

Hi guys I would like to share this little story with yous' a couple of years ago My sister took me to Lourdes . weeks before we were going there were problems and my sister was wondering  if we should go then one night after she lit her candle when she was doing her Navena (prayers to our lady) it went up in flames so she put it out on her back step till the flames went out when she went out to look at it this is what it looked like .
If you click on the pisture you can see it better there are other things I can see . See what you can see  Grin

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 03:20:36 pm by ixchel » Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: