Our Quest To Practical Spirituality.
April 19, 2024, 06:35:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Spiritquest. Where we find ways to practice what we know.

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Taoism. Learning its wisdom. TAO . Nothing to say

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taoism. Learning its wisdom. TAO . Nothing to say  (Read 845 times)
Eugene66
Check out my new website.
Sageguide
Spirit....

Spot on?: 8

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 03:50:39 am »

43. Overcoming
Water overcomes the stone;
Without substance it requires no opening;
This is the benefit of taking no action.

Yet benefit without action,
And experience without abstraction,
Are practiced by very few.

That which offers no resistance,
overcomes the hardest substances.
That which offers no resistance
can enter where there is no space.

Few in the world can comprehend
the teaching without words,
or understand the value of non-action.
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

http://magicliving.net

Love
Eugene.
  Smitten
Medusa
Queen of the Dead !
Sageguide
Spirit....

Spot on?: 12

GraveDigger......................

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 03:20:32 am »

The tenderest things of creation prevail over the hardest. Something immaterial enters into the most impenetrable to preserve its unity. I, therefore, recognise the advantages of the principle of wu-wei and teach non-interference. There is no other doctrine

That is grander than the doctrine of TAO, and no other teaching that is more universally potent than the teaching of wu-wei.

Which is more intimately precious: fame or life? Which is more valuable: life or treasure? Which gives the most trouble: gain or loss? One naturally seeks the things he most prizes; for that reason we should be careful to prize the right things, because grasping and hoarding invite waste and loss both to property and life.

A contented person is never dishonored. One who knows how to stop with enough is free from danger; he will therefore endure.

http://spiritquest.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,4.0.html
Rest In Peace Dragon Rider ? ATS

"Don't regret what you have already done, but look forward to what is still to come!"
Eugene66
Sageguide
Spirit....

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 07:43:06 am »

42. 1. The Tâo produced One; One produced Two; Two produced Three; Three produced All things. All things leave behind them the Obscurity (out of which they have come), and go forward to embrace the Brightness (into which they have emerged), while they are harmonised by the Breath of Vacancy.

2. What men dislike is to be orphans, to have little virtue, to be as carriages without naves; and yet these are the designations which kings and princes use for themselves. So it is that some things are increased by being diminished, and others are diminished by being increased.

3. What other men (thus) teach, I also teach. The violent and strong do not die their natural death. I will make this the basis of my teaching.

We have the case of the depreciating epithets given to themselves by kings and princes, which we found before in ch. 39, and a similar lesson is drawn from it. Such depreciation leads to exaltation, and the contrary course of self-exaltation leads to abasement. This latter case is stated emphatically in par. 3, and Lâo-dze says that it was the basis of his teaching. So far therefore we have in this chapter a repetition of the lesson that the movement of the Tâo is by contraries,' and that its weakness is the sure precursor of strength. But the connexion between this lesson and what he says in par. 1 it is difficult to trace. Up to this time at least it has baffled myself. The passage seems to give us a cosmogony. 'The Tâo produced One.' We have already seen that the Tâo is 'The One.' Are we to understand here that the Tâo, and the One were one and the same? In this case what would be the significance of the ('produced')?--that the Tâo which had been previously 'non-existent' now became 'existent,' or capable of being named? This seems to be the view of Sze-mâ Kwang (A.D. 1009-1086).

The most singular form which this view assumes is in one of the treatises on our King, attributed to the Tâoist patriarch Lü ( ), that 'the One is Heaven, which was formed by the congealing of the Tâo.' According to another treatise, also assigned to the same Lü ( ) the One was 'the primordial ether;' the Two, 'the separation of that into its Yin and Yang constituents;' and the Three, 'the production of heaven, earth, and man by these.' In quoting the paragraph Hwâi-nan dze omits , and commences with , and his glossarist, Kâo Yû, makes out the One to be the Tâo, the Two to be Spiritual Intelligences ( ), and the Three to be the Harmonising Breath. From the mention of the Yin and Yang that follows, I believe that Lâo-dze intended by the Two these two qualities or elements in the primordial ether, which would be 'the One.' I dare not hazard a guess as to what 'the Three' were.

The Tao gave birth to One.
The One gave birth to Two.
The Two gave birth to Three.
The Three gave birth to all of creation.

All things carry Yin
yet embrace Yang.
They blend their life breaths
in order to produce harmony.

People despise being orphaned, widowed and poor.
But the noble ones take these as their titles.
In losing, much is gained,
and in gaining, much is lost.

What others teach I too will teach:
"The strong and violent will not die a natural death."

42. Mind
The Way bears sensation,
Sensation bears memory,
Sensation and memory bear abstraction,
And abstraction bears all the world;
Each thing in the world bears feeling and doing,
And, imbued with mind, harmony with the Way.

As others have taught, so do I teach,
"Who loses harmony opposes nature";
This is the root of my teaching.

Love
Eugene.
  Smitten
Eugene66
Sageguide
Spirit....

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 07:40:52 am »

41. 1. Scholars of the highest class, when they hear about the Tâo, earnestly carry it into practice. Scholars of the middle class, when they have heard about it, seem now to keep it and now to lose it. Scholars of the lowest class, when they have heard about it, laugh greatly at it. If it were not (thus) laughed at, it would not be fit to be the Tâo.

2. Therefore the sentence-makers have thus expressed themselves:--

'The Tâo, when brightest seen, seems light to lack;
Who progress in it makes, seems drawing back;
Its even way is like a rugged track.
Its highest virtue from the vale doth rise;
Its greatest beauty seems to offend the eyes
And he has most whose lot the least supplies.
Its firmest virtue seems but poor and low;
Its solid truth seems change to undergo;
Its largest square doth yet no corner show
A vessel great, it is the slowest made; p. 85
Loud is its sound, but never word it said;
A semblance great, the shadow of a shade.'

When a superior person hears of the Tao,
She diligently puts it into practice.
When an average person hears of the Tao,
he believes half of it, and doubts the other half.
When a foolish person hears of the Tao,
he laughs out loud at the very idea.
If he didn't laugh,
it wouldn't be the Tao.

Thus it is said:
The brightness of the Tao seems like darkness,
the advancement of the Tao seems like retreat,
the level path seems rough,
the superior path seem empty,
the pure seems to be tarnished,
and true virtue doesn't seem to be enough.
The virtue of caution seems like cowardice,
the pure seems to be polluted,
the true square seems to have no corners,
the best vessels take the most time to finish,
the greatest sounds cannot be heard,
and the greatest image has no form.

The Tao hides in the unnamed,
Yet it alone nourishes and completes all things.

41. Following
When the great man learns the Way, he follows it with diligence;
When the common man learns the Way, he follows it on occasion;
When the mean man learns the Way, he laughs out loud;
Those who do not laugh, do not learn at all.

Therefore it is said:
Who understands the Way seems foolish;
Who progresses on the Way seems to fail;
Who follows the Way seems to wander.

For the finest harmony appears plain;
The brightest truth appears coloured;
The richest character appears incomplete;
The bravest heart appears meek;
The simplest nature appears inconstant.

The square, perfected, has no corner;
Music, perfected, has no melody;
Love, perfected, has no climax;
Art, perfected, has no meaning.

The Way can be neither sensed nor known:
It transmits sensation and transcends knowledge.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:44:18 am by Eugene66 » Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Love
Eugene.
  Smitten
Medusa
Queen of the Dead !
Sageguide
Spirit....

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 05:23:57 am »

42. 1. The Tâo produced One; One produced Two; Two produced Three; Three produced All things. All things leave behind them the Obscurity (out of which they have come), and go forward to embrace the Brightness (into which they have emerged), while they are harmonised by the Breath of Vacancy.

2. What men dislike is to be orphans, to have little virtue, to be as carriages without naves; and yet these are the designations which kings and princes use for themselves. So it is that some things are increased by being diminished, and others are diminished by being increased.

3. What other men (thus) teach, I also teach. The violent and strong do not die their natural death. I will make this the basis of my teaching.

We have the case of the depreciating epithets given to themselves by kings and princes, which we found before in ch. 39, and a similar lesson is drawn from it. Such depreciation leads to exaltation, and the contrary course of self-exaltation leads to abasement. This latter case is stated emphatically in par. 3, and Lâo-dze says that it was the basis of his teaching. So far therefore we have in this chapter a repetition of the lesson that the movement of the Tâo is by contraries,' and that its weakness is the sure precursor of strength. But the connexion between this lesson and what he says in par. 1 it is difficult to trace. Up to this time at least it has baffled myself. The passage seems to give us a cosmogony. 'The Tâo produced One.' We have already seen that the Tâo is 'The One.' Are we to understand here that the Tâo, and the One were one and the same? In this case what would be the significance of the ('produced')?--that the Tâo which had been previously 'non-existent' now became 'existent,' or capable of being named? This seems to be the view of Sze-mâ Kwang (A.D. 1009-1086).

The most singular form which this view assumes is in one of the treatises on our King, attributed to the Tâoist patriarch Lü ( ), that 'the One is Heaven, which was formed by the congealing of the Tâo.' According to another treatise, also assigned to the same Lü ( ) the One was 'the primordial ether;' the Two, 'the separation of that into its Yin and Yang constituents;' and the Three, 'the production of heaven, earth, and man by these.' In quoting the paragraph Hwâi-nan dze omits , and commences with , and his glossarist, Kâo Yû, makes out the One to be the Tâo, the Two to be Spiritual Intelligences ( ), and the Three to be the Harmonising Breath. From the mention of the Yin and Yang that follows, I believe that Lâo-dze intended by the Two these two qualities or elements in the primordial ether, which would be 'the One.' I dare not hazard a guess as to what 'the Three' were.

"Don't regret what you have already done, but look forward to what is still to come!"
Medusa
Queen of the Dead !
Sageguide
Spirit....

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 09:47:28 am »

41. 1. Scholars of the highest class, when they hear about the Tâo, earnestly carry it into practice. Scholars of the middle class, when they have heard about it, seem now to keep it and now to lose it. Scholars of the lowest class, when they have heard about it, laugh greatly at it. If it were not (thus) laughed at, it would not be fit to be the Tâo.

2. Therefore the sentence-makers have thus expressed themselves:--

'The Tâo, when brightest seen, seems light to lack;
Who progress in it makes, seems drawing back;
Its even way is like a rugged track.
Its highest virtue from the vale doth rise;
Its greatest beauty seems to offend the eyes
And he has most whose lot the least supplies.
Its firmest virtue seems but poor and low;
Its solid truth seems change to undergo;
Its largest square doth yet no corner show
A vessel great, it is the slowest made; p. 85
Loud is its sound, but never word it said;
A semblance great, the shadow of a shade.'

Eugene66
Sageguide
Spirit....

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 08:36:06 am »

All movement returns to the Tao.
Weakness is how the Tao works.

All of creation is born from substance.
Substance is born of nothing-ness.

40. Motion and Use
The motion of the Way is to return;
The use of the Way is to accept;
All things come from the Way,
And the Way comes from nothing.

Love
Eugene.
  Smitten
Medusa
Queen of the Dead !
Sageguide
Spirit....

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 05:21:35 am »

40. 1. The movement of the Tâo
By contraries proceeds;
And weakness marks the course
Of Tâo's mighty deeds.

2. All things under heaven sprang from It as existing (and named); that existence sprang from It as non-existent (and not named).

, 'Dispensing with the Use (of Means);'--with their use, that is, as it appears to us. The subject of the brief chapter is the action of the Tâo by contraries, leading to a result the opposite of what existed previously, and by means which might seem calculated to produce a contrary result.

In translating par. 2 1 have followed Ziâo Hung, who finds the key to it in ch. 1. Having a name, the Tâo is 'the Mother of all things;' having no name, it is 'the Originator of Heaven and Earth.' But here is the teaching of Lâo-dze:--'If Tâo seems to be before God,' Tâo itself sprang from nothing.

candlelight
Spirit....

Spot on?: 5

ti amo

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 05:11:05 am »

Like it Eugene  Afro The Angel card today is something like this   angel

THE ANGEL OF  FREEDOM

My Soul's loving energy flows through my being. I am free.

A great freedoom is felt when we release the tension created by the lower centers of consciousness that trap us in attachments of power  over others, money, and sensation. When we simply allow the energies of the Soul to direct our lives, we understand the freedom of being constructive and positive, accepting people and situations aas they are, here and now, free from the side effects of negative reactions

thanks ann.. i am loving this quote today..thanks...xxxxxxx
 :)when we simply allow the energies of the soul to direct our lives.. wow and double wow... Grin

❀¸.•*¨ƸӜƷ
✿¸ LOVE
( `❀.¸ and
`✿.¸ )¸¸ PEACE
¸.❀´¸.✿*´¨) ¸.❀*¨)
(¸.✿´ (¸.❀` *(`'✿.¸¸.✿'´

Love is the answer...................now, what was the question??

http://cottagereiki.blogspot.com/
Eugene66
Sageguide
Spirit....

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 02:12:13 am »

"Nothing really matters." is a duality statement because it has opposites like , Everything matters.

But ultimately I can say " Nothing has meaning." Because it is all thought. It is all illusion and therefore when you see it as someting that matters you just caused "matter" and thus you made it heavy for yourself and you will not let you change it.

We seek the balance. To change anything it must not matter. This is God conciousness. People say its not sympathetic. Its true that it's not. It is true that it is. It is a paradox. Thus to heal you I must know that you have no meaning to me. Thus you can be sick or healthy but it does not matter for it has no meaning. Then I choose to see you as healthy and so it will be because I create what I know to be so.

So do what you want to do because nothing has meaning. What should you do? Whatever you want. If you want to pray then pray. If you say prayer is not needed then it is not. There is nothing we "Should" do.

Love
Eugene.
  Smitten
candlelight
Spirit....

ti amo

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 10:25:21 am »

Smiley  does anyone think, this teaching is similar to when jesus said, to turn the other cheek..Huh???
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:19:30 am by candlelight » Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

❀¸.•*¨ƸӜƷ
✿¸ LOVE
( `❀.¸ and
`✿.¸ )¸¸ PEACE
¸.❀´¸.✿*´¨) ¸.❀*¨)
(¸.✿´ (¸.❀` *(`'✿.¸¸.✿'´

candlelight
Spirit....

ti amo

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 10:24:33 am »

Smiley  cool, very cool.. thnaks for posting this.. it makes sense i understand it... yet i couldnt explain it.. but its good, very good... thanks for posting this Ann... x

❀¸.•*¨ƸӜƷ
✿¸ LOVE
( `❀.¸ and
`✿.¸ )¸¸ PEACE
¸.❀´¸.✿*´¨) ¸.❀*¨)
(¸.✿´ (¸.❀` *(`'✿.¸¸.✿'´

Eugene66
Sageguide
Spirit....

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 10:15:59 am »

Beautiful.

It is true. You cannot really talk it because people do not understand.
It is paradoxical in many ways because it is pure truth. Pure truth will not make sense to a mathematical strategic mind.

Love
Eugene.
  Smitten
candlelight
Spirit....

ti amo

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 03:29:34 am »

Smiley  yeah too Ann, i guess when it makes sense, its the right time..  Smiley

❀¸.•*¨ƸӜƷ
✿¸ LOVE
( `❀.¸ and
`✿.¸ )¸¸ PEACE
¸.❀´¸.✿*´¨) ¸.❀*¨)
(¸.✿´ (¸.❀` *(`'✿.¸¸.✿'´

Eugene66
Sageguide
Spirit....

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 01:51:58 am »

Yeah I like Tao because its so simple and it brings profound change when you live it. It is entirely practical for anyone to do it.

Love
Eugene.
  Smitten

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: