Our Quest To Practical Spirituality.
March 29, 2024, 04:50:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Spiritquest. Where we find ways to practice what we know.

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Probe As London Flats Inferno Kills Six

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Probe As London Flats Inferno Kills Six  (Read 657 times)
Medusa
Queen of the Dead !
Sageguide
Spirit....

Spot on?: 12

GraveDigger......................

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 04:47:33 am »

Wasn't easy Eugene but did find some good news hehehehehehe

The view from Lady Liberty's crown

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8133203.stm

The Statue of Liberty's crown has been closed to the public since the terrorist attacks of 11 September 2001.

With its reopening on Saturday - US Independence Day - some of the millions of tourists who visit Liberty Island each year will once again be able to enjoy the lookout.

Matthew Price climbed the 354 steps to take in the majestic view of Manhattan Island.

Medusa
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

http://spiritquest.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,4.0.html
Rest In Peace Dragon Rider ? ATS

"Don't regret what you have already done, but look forward to what is still to come!"
Eugene66
Check out my new website.
Sageguide
Spirit....

Spot on?: 8

Check out my new website.

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 04:34:48 am »

Medusa!!

Any good news today? Wink

I thinks its wonderful that the whole building remained standing and the other places did not catch a light.

http://magicliving.net

Love
Eugene.
  Smitten
Medusa
Queen of the Dead !
Sageguide
Spirit....

Spot on?: 12

GraveDigger......................

« on: July 04, 2009, 03:44:27 am »

This is horrendous ................

Why do we have tower-blocks again ?

Oh yes, course they're so easy to shove lots of famlies into ?

Investigators are searching for clues to discover how a blaze started in a block of London flats killing six people, including three children.

The blaze started on the fourth floor but spread as high as the 11th

Police were contacting relatives of the dead today as witnesses told how flames tore through several floors of the tower block in Camberwell.

The victims were a three-week-old baby, a six-year-old, a seven-year-old, two women and an unidentified adult.

A further 12 people are in hospital after being injured in the fire which engulfed Lakanal House in Havil Street, in the south east of the city.

More than 100 firefighters and 18 fire engines battled the blaze, which is thought to have started on the fourth floor but quickly spread to the eleventh.

The fire service said 30 people trapped in the building were rescued in "extremely difficult circumstances".

Paul Glenny, one of the firefighters involved, said: "I've been in the job for 30 years, and I've never seen anything like it.

"The hot weather and the fact that people's windows were open made the fire what it was."

Residents who escaped the blaze were taken to an evacuation centre in nearby Welton Hall, Bushey Road, where they remained this morning.

Speaking from the centre Nancy Kanu, 28, who lived on the fifth floor of the tower, said: "We saw smoke coming in through the window.

"The stairs were all full of smoke. We were really scared because we couldn't walk. We were crawling through the smoke.

"My sister was there with her three-day-old baby who is now suffering breathing problems and I was with my two
kids."

London fire brigade spokesman David Bullbrock told Sky News: "It was a significant fire which developed very quickly and we'll have to investigate why that happened.

"We have contained the fire but we will continue to search the building until we're satisfied there is no one else remaining inside."

Sky reporter Eleanor Jeffery described the scene as "horrific".

"The situation is under control but the block of flats has been severely damaged. The fire must have been extremely fierce," she added.

Emergency services were called to the scene at 4.20pm.

Michael Thompson, 17, who lives in the block, said: "There was a big bang that sounded like an explosion.

"People were screaming. I heard people shouting 'Fire, fire'.

"I called 999 when I saw the flames and they said they were already on their way. I could smell the smoke from inside my flat so I closed the windows.

"This black smoke was pouring out of the windows."

Sarah Gresty, who lives in Havil Street, said she could see a column of flames and smoke in flats going up a number of floors.

She said: "It was very alarming seeing it. The fire was going in quite a few flats. It was shocking to see the quantities of smoke and flames."

Southwark councillor Ian Wingfield, who represents Brunswick Park - the ward in which the flats are situated - said there are 108 flats in the block.

Lakanal House was built in the 1960s on the Sceaux Gardens Estate which is owned and managed by the council, with people living there on a leasehold or tenant basis.

Mr Wingfield said: "This is an extremely tragic incident. The condolences of myself and my other colleagues on the council go out to the families involved.

"We hope that we can sort matters out as quickly as possible so that people are put in accommodation to begin with and then hopefully they can go back into the block.

"But we are not going to move people back in there until all the health and safety aspects have been covered."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/

http://spiritquest.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,4.0.html
Rest In Peace Dragon Rider ? ATS

"Don't regret what you have already done, but look forward to what is still to come!"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: