Our Quest To Practical Spirituality.
March 28, 2024, 11:24:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Spiritquest. Where we find ways to practice what we know.

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

jeff wayne war of the worlds

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: jeff wayne war of the worlds  (Read 367 times)
bugeye
Spirit...

Spot on?: 4

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 03:05:43 am »

I loved the war of the worlds album.

I'll definitely go see this show when it comes to australia.

My favorite War of the Worlds song:

was a brilliant awesome show, went to see the show in Manchester last June,the sound effects fantastic, Jeff Wayne himself, conducted the music from the 10-piece Black Smoke Band and the 46-piece ULLAdubUlla Strings orchestra.

Also appeared  Moody Blues front-man Justin Hayward in the role of The Sung Thoughts of the Journalists, John Payne of prog-rockers Asia as Parson Nathaniel and Fame Academy's Sinead Quinn as Beth.

Meanwhile, Alexis James from the stage show Les Miserables is The Artilleryman and Chris Thompson of Manfred Mann played the role of The Voice of Humanity.

War of the Worlds was well-known for marrying an orchestral approach and arrangement with cutting-edge (in 1978 anyway) synthy squelches and sound effects.

So up on stage it’s orchestra on one side and guitar, drums and keyboard on the other. The reason for the gap in between becomes clear during the middle of the second song, when an enormous Martian fighting machine is lowered to the stage, and starts strafing the crowd with a spotlight ‘heat ray’.

If it all sounds a bit Spinal Tap, you’re not too far off – but no one seems to mind. Like most prog rock, it’s all good fun, and best taken with a few pinches of salt.

The narration that goes on throughout the performance is provided by a digital recreation of Richard Burton, an impressive if slightly creepy touch. The flesh-and-blood actor/singers, including Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues and former Brooksider Jennifer Ellison, run through their parts competently.

But it’s more of a spectacle than a genuine live performance. The combination of the lights, sound effects, video show and music are greater than any of the individual parts.

If the show doesn’t quite recreate an 1890s Martian invasion in full, it certainly does a good job bringing back the ‘70s prog rock spirit.

Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Check out my personal space, it is funny and friendly. Please drop by for a chat.

http://spiritquest.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,83.0.html
Medusa
Queen of the Dead !
Sageguide
Spirit....

Spot on?: 12

GraveDigger......................

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 01:51:09 pm »

Medusa I didn't know they hgad a movie on the original. I saw one called w.o.t.w once but it was nowhere near that one.

Yes here it is baby .......................... I got the video..............................

The War of the Worlds is a 1953 science fiction film starring Gene Barry and Ann Robinson. It was the first on screen depiction of the H. G. Wells classic novel of the same name. Produced by George Pál and directed by Byron Haskin from a script by Barré Lyndon, it was the first of several adaptations of Wells' work to be filmed by Pál, and is considered to be one of the great science fiction films of the 1950s. It won an Oscar for its special effects.

The story is updated to the 1950s for this film, and the setting is moved from the environs of London to southern California. Dr. Clayton Forrester (Gene Barry), a world renowned physicist, is on a fishing vacation in Pine Summit when a giant meteorite lands in the hills above the nearby town of Linda Rosa. Along with the residents, he goes to investigate. At the impact site, he meets Sylvia van Buren (Ann Robinson) and her uncle, Pastor Dr. Matthew Collins (Lewis Martin). Finding the meteorite too hot to examine closely, he decides to wait in town for the meteorite to cool down.

Later, after most of the people have gone home, the meteorite (actually a Martian spacecraft) unscrews and disgorges a machine. When the three men who remained behind approach in friendly greeting, it kills them without warning. Forrester and the sheriff are also attacked when they return, but survive. Amid reports of numerous other meteors landing throughout the world, a regiment of United States Marines arrives and surrounds the Martian ship. Three Martian war machines deploy. Pastor Collins approaches one of them in peace, but they kill him with their Heat-Ray without attempting to communicate. The Marines attack, but the Martians are protected by an impenetrable force field. The invaders use their Heat-Ray and disintegrator rays to vaporize most of the defenders and move out.

Forrester and Sylvia flee, along with the rest of the civilians. After their plane crashes, they take shelter in a nearby abandoned farmhouse. They are trapped in the basement when another meteorite crashes into the house. The couple comes in contact with a Martian when the creature leaves its machine to look around. They manage to fight it off.

The couple reach Los Angeles, eventually rejoining Forrester's co-workers, who are trying to find a way to defeat the aliens. With a sample of Martian blood and an electronic eye obtained from the farmhouse encounter, the scientists learn a good deal about Martian physiology; in particular, they learn that they are physically weak creatures.

They then leave to observe a United States Air Force YB-49 drop an atomic bomb on the Martians advancing on Los Angeles. When this fails to destroy the machines, the government initiates large-scale evacuations of cities in danger. Refugees head for shelters set up in the Rocky Mountains. However, widespread panic among the general populace scatters the research group and their equipment is wrecked. In the confusion, Forrester and Sylvia become separated.

All seems lost, with humanity helpless before the onslaught. Forrester frantically searches for Sylvia in the burning ruins of a Los Angeles under attack. He finally finds her with others awaiting the end in a church. Suddenly, they see an approaching Martian war machine crash. Upon investigating, Forrester realizes that the seemingly all-powerful invaders are dying. As in the book, they have no biological defense against Earth's viruses and bacteria.

http://spiritquest.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,4.0.html
Rest In Peace Dragon Rider ? ATS

"Don't regret what you have already done, but look forward to what is still to come!"
Eugene66
Check out my new website.
Sageguide
Spirit....

Spot on?: 8

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 11:50:47 am »

Medusa I didn't know they hgad a movie on the original. I saw one called w.o.t.w once but it was nowhere near that one.

Gryffen I still get goosebumps when I hear the words. "but between them lay the gray ironclad thunderchild."

http://magicliving.net

Love
Eugene.
  Smitten
harryhoudini
Spirit....

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 10:23:06 am »

brilliant story / history on the War of the worlds broardcast 1938......................

http://www.war-ofthe-worlds.co.uk/war_worlds_orson_welles_mercury.htm

to many pages to post with pictures................
gryffen
Spirit.

Spot on?: 0

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 09:39:19 am »

Eugene

Yeah Orson Wells did the original show on radio - but it was on at the same time as another show and a lot of people missed "the following is a drama"

Hence paranoia, mass suicide - not pretty!

Here is the info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(radio)

My buddy - the freaky heat ray!

PS - i got into so much trouble one day usin the Ulla part to wake up my squad - had to declaw them from the ceiling lolololololoolol

Lo there do I see my father, Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, in the Halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live...forever.
gryffen
Spirit.

Spot on?: 0

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 09:33:13 am »

Went to see it dec 08 at the SECC in glasgow - FAN BLOODY TASTIC!!

ive been addicted to WOTW since i was younger and my mum played it to me on LP.

The music is super, the cast were spectacular and Jeff Wayne was delightful!!

Not to say that Justin Hayward - wow - he ages gracefully - amazing!

The special effects were brilliant - still get goosebumps at the uuuulllaaaaaa part!

Going again with sister when it comes back - we were in the middle of the room 10 rows back - our seats were pushed back 7 foot with the force of the speakers/amplifiers - WOOOOOWWWW

Lo there do I see my father, Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, in the Halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live...forever.
Medusa
Queen of the Dead !
Sageguide
Spirit....

Spot on?: 12

GraveDigger......................

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 11:16:58 am »

OMG this is wicked guys..................I brought my partner the 30' anv addition one a few months ago for his birthday !

It's fantastic.....................and I do prefer the orginal film as well, the remake with Tom Cruise wasn't all that good to me !

Medusa  Afro

http://spiritquest.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,4.0.html
Rest In Peace Dragon Rider ? ATS

"Don't regret what you have already done, but look forward to what is still to come!"
Eugene66
Sageguide
Spirit....

Spot on?: 8

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 05:19:23 am »

I love that one.

When I was a teen I just put my headphones on and I trance into another world with that music. Often while lying around painting or sketching in the sun. David essex did the intruments and Richard Burton the storyteller.

Lately the movie came out with Tom Cruize playing in it. That was the closest.

I also heard the original story as it was on radio. They say in some places it created mass paranoia because they made it sound like genuine radio broadcasts of an invasion.

http://magicliving.net

Love
Eugene.
  Smitten
harryhoudini
Spirit....

« on: July 29, 2009, 03:49:27 am »

was a brilliant awesome show, went to see the show in Manchester last June,the sound effects fantastic, Jeff Wayne himself, conducted the music from the 10-piece Black Smoke Band and the 46-piece ULLAdubUlla Strings orchestra.

Also appeared  Moody Blues front-man Justin Hayward in the role of The Sung Thoughts of the Journalists, John Payne of prog-rockers Asia as Parson Nathaniel and Fame Academy's Sinead Quinn as Beth.

Meanwhile, Alexis James from the stage show Les Miserables is The Artilleryman and Chris Thompson of Manfred Mann played the role of The Voice of Humanity.

War of the Worlds was well-known for marrying an orchestral approach and arrangement with cutting-edge (in 1978 anyway) synthy squelches and sound effects.

So up on stage it’s orchestra on one side and guitar, drums and keyboard on the other. The reason for the gap in between becomes clear during the middle of the second song, when an enormous Martian fighting machine is lowered to the stage, and starts strafing the crowd with a spotlight ‘heat ray’.

If it all sounds a bit Spinal Tap, you’re not too far off – but no one seems to mind. Like most prog rock, it’s all good fun, and best taken with a few pinches of salt.

The narration that goes on throughout the performance is provided by a digital recreation of Richard Burton, an impressive if slightly creepy touch. The flesh-and-blood actor/singers, including Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues and former Brooksider Jennifer Ellison, run through their parts competently.

But it’s more of a spectacle than a genuine live performance. The combination of the lights, sound effects, video show and music are greater than any of the individual parts.

If the show doesn’t quite recreate an 1890s Martian invasion in full, it certainly does a good job bringing back the ‘70s prog rock spirit.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: