Our Quest To Practical Spirituality.
December 07, 2021, 04:32:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Spiritquest. Where we find ways to practice what we know.
 
  Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Samlesbury Hall.


Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Samlesbury Hall.  (Read 192 times)
harryhoudini
Spirit....
*****

Spot on?: 4
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 663


« on: July 26, 2009, 04:49:12 am »

one place where most people will feel strange things , most of my Orb pictures were taken on ghost nights, even on visits during the day you can feel the real cold and shivery spots, and the static filled rooms , as its only a ten minute drive for my i am a regular vistor..........its honestly a real spooky place...........

The hall is renowned as of the most haunted locations in Britain, and for many years fright-seekers have flocked to experience, test and film the amazing phenomena taking place in and around the ancient building.

Resident spirits include the legendary Grey Lady - Dorothy Southworth - who witnessed the brutal murder of her young lover and his companions at the hands of her own family, shallow graves containing human remains, the immovable blood stains of a slain priest, ghostly cries in the night, the spirit of a suicide, the trial of a resident witch at Lancaster Castle, a terrifying vigil in 1924 and many strange physical and photographic anomalies that defy rational explanation.

Many TV programmes and magazines have attempted to record the ghostly activity at Samlesbury (with varying degrees of success.) Visitors have included UKTV’s ‘Most Haunted’ team including Yvette Fielding and Derek Acorah, historian and ghost-hunter Richard Felix, Radio 1 DJ Edith Bowman and numerous international media teams.
The Decapitated Priest
A Haunted Room Hides a Terrifying Secret...

The Priest Room at the hall is allegedly where a priest was brutally beheaded during the Reformation in the reign of King Henry VIII.

The tiny, sparsely furnished room seems to exude an aura of sadness and despair all of its own, and is a favourite spot for spirit-hunters to test their skills.

The room is notorious for the immovable blood stains still visible on the floor where the poor priest was murdered. Horrified by the story, Joseph Harrison had the floor ripped up and replaced, but the stain kept seeping back no matter what was done.

Harrison himself, a friend of Charles Dickens, later committed suicide within yards of the cursed room.

You can still see the bloodstains today, and on photographs they often show up as a deep red colour.

Priests are a favourite sighting, having suffered a great deal of persecution during Henry’s reign, and are often seen wandering the hall.

Every night the cupboard in the Priest Room is locked and thoroughly checked, however, every morning the doors have been pushed open!
The Old Entrance Hall
Step into the Unknown...

Gary who hosts our very popular Ghost Investigation Evenings has seen a lady materialise by the fire and walk up the stairs. The mysterious woman then disappeared as she entered the Chapel Gallery.

Visitors have also experienced a strong smell of pipe tobacco smoke in the old entrance. The room was also the site of a frightening vigil which took place in the 1920s, and ended unexpectedly when the interpid investigators fled in terror.

A small boy, who was the son of a servant, is often seen standing outside the old entrance. The boy was never allowed to enter the hall and used to fish in the moat. He has been spotted many times peering into the hall, but never inside.


Our very own Henry VIII has seen a man dressed in a ¾ length black coat. Henry waved to him and asked him to open the door. He was shocked when the man ignored him.

Henry later learned that there was nobody in the hall at the time and the building was still alarmed!

Joseph Harrison
The Whistling Ghost who Loves Women with Long Hair...

Joseph Harrison owned the hall in the 1930s and committed suicide on the Minstrel Gallery due to his imminent financial ruin. Joseph can be heard walking along the gallery at night. He is often heard whistling along the Long Gallery.

He is said to love women with long hair, and women have often experienced an invisible hand stroking or pulling their hair!

The Most Haunted Team repeatedly heard and recorded the distinct sound of whistling, whilst Joseph himself allegedly announced his presence to celebrity psychic Derek Acorah, during their TV coverage at the hall in 2005.

Visitors will often experience a cold spot in the Great Hall, directly below the Minstrel’s Gallery where Harrison shot himself.



The Hall promotes a regular programme of ghost-hunt events and haunted tours where audiences can experience and participate in live interactive paranormal investigations. You can check out the ghost evening programme on the Samlesbury Hall events listing. Early booking is recommended though – they’re always a sell out. Meanwhile, here’s a who’s who of the spirits of Samlesbury Hall
The White Lady
Wraith-like She Walks the Night...

The White Lady is reputed to be the ghost of Lady Dorothy Southworth who lived in the hall. She came from a strict Catholic family, but fell in love with a Protestant soldier, a member of the De Hoghton family. They plotted to elope, and the young lover and his two friends came to the hall at night to the to steal Dorothy away. In the darkness they were surprised by Lady Dorothy’s brothers, who brutally murdered the three men and buried their bodies near the outer poles of the house drawbridge. Dorothy witnessed everything and, insane with grief, was sent away to a French Nunnery where she died of a broken heart.

A group who were visiting the hall saw a woman dressed in white on the driveway, who appeared to be looking for something. As they approached her she turned and stepped towards them. On seeing the ghostly features at close hand they ran away.

Dorothy has flagged down buses and taxis out on the main road, and when they stop she disappears. A police car has been said to have hit a figure dressed in white, but when they got out there was no body in sight and no damage to the car.

A famous army regiment was stationed around Samlesbury Hall in the 1920s. Lady Dorothy was seen by two of the soldiers, and proceeded to follow them. One of the soldiers was so frightened he suffered a seizure and never recovered. During the war, there were frequent sightings of the White Lady by soldiers; it is thought this is because her lost lover De Hoghton was a soldier.


A History of Samlesbury Hall
Foundations Laid.

The first hall was built by the D'Ewyas family and situated on the bank of the river Ribble.

This was destroyed by Robert the Bruce, after the Battle of Bannockburn, when the Scots ransacked and pillaged homes along the banks of the river, from Preston to Clitheroe.

Gilbert de Southworth from Warrington married Alice D'Ewyas in the early 1320's, and five years later built the Great Hall, the oldest part of the building.

In 1678 the Hall was bought by Thomas Bradyll, who also owned Corishead Priory.

The Nineteenth Century

John Cooper bought the Hall in 1850 and leased it as a high-class boarding school for girls.

In 1862, Joseph Harrison, a wealthy Blackburn man of good-works and friend of Charles Dickens, was the next buyer who carried out much renovation and restoration. Dickens himself was a staying guest at the hall whilst touring Lancashire shortly before his death in 1870.

Unfortunately, he was a lavish entertainer and spent way beyond his means. Facing imminent ruin and disgrace, he shot and killed himself in 1878.
A Treasure Almost Lost Forever

A local J.P. lived here until 1909 when the Hall, now looking shabby from lack of care, was left to be demolished.

Fortunately, in 1924, an appeal was launched and a group of trustees formed Samlesbury Hall Trust to rescue and preserve the Hall for future generations.

Visitors to Samlesbury Hall today can see that they succeeded and the Hall is now in good repair attracting 50,000 visitors each year.

Phoenix From the Flames

Samlesbury Hall has been independently owned and administrated since 1925 by a registered Charitable Trust known as The Samlesbury Hall Trust whose primary aim is to maintain and preserve the property for your enjoyment and pleasure.

Modern Times

The hall has witnessed some great events of the 20th century, including in 1957, the onsite building of Donald Campbell's world water-speed record breaking boat, the legendary Bluebird K7.








« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 04:56:37 am by harryhoudini » Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter


Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by EzPortal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum


Powered by SMF | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
Privacy Policy
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 10 queries.